Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Process post! Danzig the Cat.

Another little custom order, a portrait of a much loved and "right up my alley" sort of wild and naughty little boy cat named Danzig. (How could I turn it down, a boy super-loving his cat and naming it Danzig is like a freaking fairytale to me!)

It was fun and fast and I took a few photos of...
This was the original design sketch. I had some photos of the little dude for reference, so it was more working out what would be around him. I did another separate one for the actual cat, and then spliced them together for the final sketch. This is the scanned pencil drawing on illustration board. Thats why its a bit muddy, I had to up the contrast. On to the painting! I guess you aren't supposed to give away your secrets to painting, but its not like I even paint the same way each time so there isn't really any secret. I tried to keep this one from getting too tight, and colouring it in like a colouring book, but it just happens like that at the beginning. I use really watery acrylic and blast it with a hairdryer every five seconds. And I listen to HIM.I think I should have taken another one in between this and the last one.I basically just added dark and light a few times...dark then light then darker than lighter until its high contrast enough for me. Like this. With a paintbrush! Secret REVEALED! Ok, here is the final guy... Danzig! I think its pretty cute. He is a sort of bad boy, but with a heart of gold, like all orange cats are. :-) Whatever bad thing he did, you'll forgive him.

11 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:00 PM

    this painting is adorable! i'm working on a few illustrations of an orange kitty too, a girl cat. i love how you stylized danzig. and yes, a great name!

    looking forward to seeing all your holiday items!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for telling the tale of painting our kitty. He turned out so awesome, and I can tell you put a lot of thought into it. I can't wait to give it to Barry for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi, i love your stuff, and i was just wondering if you actually sell it anywhere in toronto? at a store or a craft show?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi rhonda! Nope. I am all Etsy and custom orders! I know selling in shops is the way to fame and fortune, so you never know about the future. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:27 AM

    Mother! Tell your kittens not to walk my way...

    Great portrait.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11:22 AM

    Charming! I love this, you did an awesome job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous10:46 PM

    awww, what a sweet little dude. Nice job.

    Also, you were listening to HIM on a day you could have seen them live with me? :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was listening to HIM for FREE! :-P I did get a pang of "Aww, I should have went..." but then it went away.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous9:58 AM

    So cute!!! I can't wait to see all that you have horded for AFTER Halloween!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely beautiful artwork. I love your shop.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous6:34 PM

    "Mother! Tell your kittens not to walk my way..."

    LOL. I came here just for this.

    ReplyDelete